POWER OUTAGES – WHAT TO DO?
YOUR EMERGENCY PLAN – BE READY!
It will take you about 20 minutes to make a family emergency plan online. You can then print it out.
Before starting, you will need to think about:
- Safe exits from home and neighbourhood
- Meeting places to reunite with family or roommates
- Designated person to pick up children should you be unavailable
- Contact persons close-by and out-of-town
- Health and insurance information
- Places for your pet to stay
- Risks in your region
- Location of your fire extinguisher, water valve, electrical panel, gas valve and floor drain
EMERGENCY KITS – ASSEMBLE YOURS TODAY!
Basic emergency kit checklist:
- Water — two litres of water per person per day (include small bottles)
- Food that won’t spoil, such as canned food, energy bars and dried foods (replace once a year)
- Manual can opener
- Wind-up or battery-powered flashlight (and extra batteries)
- Wind-up or battery-powered radio (and extra batteries)
- First aid kit
- Extra keys for your car and house
- Cash, travellers’ cheques and change
- Important family documents such as identification, insurance and bank records
- Emergency plan — include a copy in your kit as well as contact information